Established more than 30 years ago, RAD is an award-winning manufacturer of Service Assured communications solutions for service providers, power utilities, transportation networks, and the government sector. Its leading-edge technology, strict adherence to quality standards and environmentally friendly operations, together with a corporate culture that encourages innovation and values long-term commitment to its customers, channels, suppliers, and employees, combine to make RAD an ideal partner.
The Value Proposition:
For Service Providers
Best Service Assured Access Solutions
- Deploy new revenue-generating services with guaranteed SLAs over any access infrastructure and deployment mode
- Lower TCO by reducing turn-up, provisioning and maintenance costs and ensuring end-to-end service visibility across self-owned or thirdparty networks
- Support multiple fixed and mobile services over a converged network for better economies of scale; enable highly accurate timing over packet infrastructure to facilitate roll out of LTE Advanced services
- Protect revenue streams from legacy services by facilitating a smooth migration to new packet switched infrastructure with minimal disruption to existing customers or networks
- Accelerate service deployments and network upgrades, leading to increased revenue opportunities and lower TCO by locating virtualized functions – Distributed NFV – at the customer premises, along with Service Assured Access based on dedicated Layer 2/3 demarcation capabilities
For Power Utilities, Transportation Networks and the Government Sector
Best Service Assured Networking Solutions
- Address all the communication needs of T&D networks, including operational WANs, multiservice substation connectivity, Teleprotection, substation automation, and LV site backhauling
- Provide evolutionary legacy migration to PSNs by utilizing carrier-grade Ethernet, standard pseudowire and timing-over-packet technologies
- Enhance reliability and reduce latency of mission-critical applications (such as Teleprotection) by employing RAD’s unique Traffic Duplication technology, which transports data simultaneously over SDH/SONET and Carrier Ethernet links
- Enhanced security features including SCADA firewall
- Address all the communication needs of transportation networks, including railway multiservice station connectivity, signaling, highway message boards and toll booth communications, video surveillance, moving vehicle communications for video security, airport communications, and more
- Established in 1981, privately held RAD Data Communications is the anchor of the RAD Group of companies, with revenues of $1.2 billion in 2012
- RAD maintains over 25 offices on six continents, supporting 300 sales channels in 165 countries
- RAD has a global installed base exceeding thousands of customers with more than 12 million units deployed
- Approximately 30 percent of RAD’s 1,000 employees are engaged in R&D
- RAD’s commitment to quality has earned ISO 9001:2008, ISO 14000:2004 and ISO 27001:2007 certification, among many other citations, including a National Quality Award
- RAD has a distinguished record of leadership in industry bodies such as the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF), Broadband Forum, the Internet Engineering Task Force (IEFT), and CELTIC, a EUREKA cluster that is the only European research and development program dedicated to end-to-end telecommunications solutions
- At the Ethernet 40th birthday party, RAD’s MiNID was voted the Best Telecom Product of the year by a panel of judges that included Bob Metcalfe, the inventor of the Ethernet protocol
- RAD was the originator of Single IP, which enables multiple users to share a common IP address for Internet access
- RAD’s pioneering TDMoIP® technology, which it introduced to the market almost 15 years ago, was the forerunner of today’s widely deployed pseudowire solutions
- RAD was the first vendor to miniaturize an interface converter and pseudowire gateway onto an SFP
- RAD introduced the market’s first Network Interface Device housed in a smart SFP enclosure featuring Carrier Ethernet demarcation and performance monitoring
- RAD’s Service Assured Access solutions were selected for inclusion in the first group of devices to receive MEF CE 2.0 certification
RAD’s Broad In-House Technology Base Embraces Multifaceted Disciplines, including:
- Application-aware networking
- ASIC and FPGA development
- Business DSL
- Carrier-grade Ethernet
- Fault management
- Hardware miniaturization
- Layer 2 switching and Layer 3 routing
- Network Functions Virtualization
- Network management systems
- Network migration and pseudowire
- Operations, Administration and Maintenance (OAM)
- Performance monitoring
- SFP form-factor solutions
- Synchronization and timing over packet
- Traffic management
RAD is a preferred Service Assured Access solution provider for more than 150 service providers around the world, from Tier 1 fixed/mobile incumbents, to city carriers, ISPs, and rural service telcos. Customers include the industry’s global leaders, from AT&T to Bell Canada, Bharti Airtel, CenturyLink, China Mobile, China Telecom, Deutsche Telekom/T-Mobile, Embratel, France Telecom/Orange, Hutchison, KDDI, KPN, Megafon, MTS, SingTel, SoftBank, Sunrise, Telefónica, A1 Telekom Austria, TeliaSonera, Telstra, Telus, Verizon, and Vodafone.
For power utilities, RAD’s Service Assured Networking solutions play a vital role in supporting and protecting critical infrastructure for transmission and distribution operators including Beijing Power, CELPE, Eletronorte, E.ON, Enel, Hydro-Quebec, Israel Electric Corporation, Meralco, Tata Power, and Terna Italia.
Transportation networks that rely on RAD’s Service Assured Networking solutions include those of CFR (Cãile Ferate Române, the Romanian state railway), JBV (Jernbaneverket, the Norwegian Rail Administration), RFI (Rete Ferroviaria Italiana, the Italian railway), and TFL (Transport for London). RAD also provides Service Assured solutions for enterprise network professionals in the banking, commercial, educational, financial, insurance, and manufacturing sectors.
RAD also provides Service Assured Networking solutions for the government sector, including national, regional and municipal authorities; police, public safety and first responders; homeland security and defense.
The RAD Group
A unique business philosophy distinguishes the RAD Group, which has no holding company but is strategically guided by its founders. Each company in the RAD Group operates autonomously under a common strategic umbrella. This decentralized approach maximizes the advantages inherent in small business units, such as flexibility, entrepreneurial spirit and management focus. A new company is established when a market opportunity is identified – requiring a technology, marketing approach or corporate culture that does not exist in any of the other companies.
Four RAD Group companies are currently traded on the Nasdaq Stock Market in the US, while the others are privately held by the Group’s founders and venture capital firms.